Friday, December 28, 2007

Back on the horse, and then falling off of it

Tuesday I went for a run, and while it was all well and good at the time, it wasn't a particularly long run, and the next day I felt terrible. Yesterday I tried to go for a run again, and it was a disaster. Not only did I not get too far, I walked most of it back home.
So, back on the horse today. I figure, you know, even though it's 9 pm, it's not like I'm going to bed any time soon, nor is it any darker than it was 6 hours ago.
The run is going fine, I've gone pretty far, I'm pushing myself pretty well. It had started out not so great with my underestimating how cold the air was, therefore my un-mittened hands were freezing. But being the running genius that I am, I put my hat on my hands until I'd run enough that the blood was pumping and they were hot.
Also, I was excited because with the new snow, I finally had a chance to try out my Christmas present: shoe grippers, to give traction to my feet and keep me from falling.
No luck. There I am, over two miles into my run, about a mile to go, and one miss step. I think I must have stepped on the edge of the sidewalk and my ankle just bends in a way it shouldn't have and down I go, belly flop onto concrete.
Luckily, this is the one time I had my cell phone on me (and even more luckily it didn't break, seeing as I fell right onto it while it was in my hip pocket), and I called my folks. It didn't really hurt too much at the time, and I walked a little bit down the road till my dad came in got me.
But now it just hurts like hell, and it figures that even though I hate running on the sidewalk, but I do it anyways for safety, I hurt myself. And the first time I use this grippers so I don't fall, I hit the pavement.
I'm so excited for this week to be over. Maybe in the New Year I will be a more proficient and graceful runner.

No comments: