Saturday, December 22, 2007

Two Notes

1.) It took me all week to go again, but I just went running again. It's so mild, the perfect weather for a run. Ironic that I now go running around the Vita Course - the track around the baseball, football, tennis, and soccer fields of the local high school. I would get yelled at in high school for walking it and not even trying to run. Now, I run it without walking.

2.) I'm posting this link to NPR's Fresh Air from Wednesday. I caught most of it when it first aired and found it really interesting. Not only because I'm excited for the Paul Thomas Anderson, Daniel Day Lewis, and Paul Dano film "There Will Be Blood." Also for the "Years Best Books." But most especially for Fresh Air's rock critic (and Entertainment Weekly editor) Ken Tucker's segment "A Cristic Assesses The Year in Rehab (Er, Rock)". I think the segment is very succinct.
For awhile I have wondered at my own draw to crappy pop music. I know it's no good, I know it's not great music. However, I can't get enough. I was struck though, with the honesty of Tucker and felt he got it right on with this:
".... But all of these young performers had what all of too much of rock and hip-hop lacked this year: an un-ironic emotionalism, an open heartedness, and an interest in really figuring out what it means to be in love."
Not to mention that the rock group he does praise, Fiery Furnaces, sounds pretty interesting.

No comments: