Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A Run in The Park

A scene from yesterday:

In the last hour of sun-light I changed into my running clothes, got out my ipod, and put my roommate's dog, Mia, on the leash. We walked about 3 blocks to the nearest (and biggest in Toronto) park. From there, we started to run. I've been to the park about twice in my life, so I obviously don't know it very well yet. Mia probably knows it better than I do. It is a huge park, one river boarding it, another river/creek running through it, multiple roads, even more paved pathes, and even more than that foot pathes.
Since I don't know it very well, I was mostly sticking to paths with roads along side. Mia and I were about twenty minutes into our run when I could smell animals. You know, that general smell of farm. Which is odd, cuz we were in the middle of the park. But there were fences up creating plots of land that seemed to be abandoned. I figured it was left over from the summer when maybe they brought animals in.
We keep running and Mia stops to pee on the fences, and then seems interested in something beyond the fence. It was getting so dark I almost didn't see it all, but there in the middle of Toronto, was a black Oxyen.
The path ends there so Mia and I cross the street to other path, and as I look up I see two huge black American Bison. As we continue to run, next to the Bison are antelope, and from there goats. Mia really wanted to chase down the antelope and goats, but instead we let them be, and simply marveled at the greatness of the animals.
Who says you can't find nature and wonder in the city.

No comments: