Sunday, December 9, 2007

"The Adventure" continues...kind of

So those interviews? They went all fine and everything, and one of them even panned out to potential employment. But, there's a "but".

I've been here over a week. In that week, I made contact/saw almost 3 apartments and had 5 interviews set up for nanny jobs. You can't argue that I'm not ambitious, or that I haven't tried. I did try. And in the end, I just didn't feel comfortable here at all.

In the past month, there has be a lot of uncomfortable things in my life - leaving my job, packing everything I own, getting on a bus for a new life, and trying to live in a foreign city. Being uncomfortable is vital to growth in life, I understand that. We can't always be comfortable. But I was at least calm and accepting of all that uncertainty and lack of comfort in leaving my job, packing, getting on the bus. But the uneasiness I feel in being an illegal alien, is not something I am willing to put up with.

There was this voice in the back of my head the whole time that just kept saying "I could be doing this in a city in the states, and doing it LEGALLY." And I don't really want to be nanny. I don't want to raise someone else kid. If I'm going to be looking for a job, I want to be looking for a job that I'm qualified for. And I can't do that in Canada.

To be true to the whole experience, I can't deny that I feel I failed somehow. That by leaving, I'm admitting defeat or something. I understand that this is not the case, but I can't deny that it FEELS that way.

Still, I learned a lot:

I needed to leave Michigan. And I probably wouldn't have done that just
to move back home. I needed this to motivate me to leave. (Thanks Katy,
that was a good insight).
* I now know my comfort limits with adventure: moving, not a huge risk for me. Unemployment - HUGE risk for me.
* I am a good roommate. And I would like my roommates to also be good roommates.
* I like to run in winter in parks, and I should do it more often.
* I am uncomfortable being an illegal alien.

There are countless other life lessons, but this blog is already pretty long,
so I'm gonna wrap it up now. But I'll say this final thing: There's a job opening at a school back in Chicago, I put in my application. I think it would be a great fit for me, and for the school - say a little prayer that the school thinks so too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ethical decision is always the right decision.

Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone should ever have to live in Canada, legally or otherwise. I suppose that's my bias though.

Good luck getting the Chicago job.

We have plenty of slurs for people who sneak into the U.S.A. from Mexico and get illegal jobs. Do Canadians have similar slurs for Americans who sneak into Canada and get illegal jobs?