Monday, May 5, 2008

California Here We Come

At this exact moment it is 11:00 pm. I told myself if I went to bed now, I could still get 8 hours of sleep. And I'm telling myself that once I write this I will in fact turn my self in. Really.

But I had this moment today. Getting in my car at exactly 3:33 pm, needing to start my second job at 4, with google maps saying it takes 24 minutes to make this commute. I still have the podcast of This American Life on from my morning commute, mid cast. I keep it on and listen Ira Glass talk about what he's learned from television. Not even from his own show, but about this Fox Teen reality show. I could try to describe it, but I could never do it justice. You have to listen for yourself. It was Act 3. (But listen to the whole thing. Dadid Rakoff and Dan Savage are hilarious).

And you can have you're own moment with it. But for me, it was listening to it while I hummed along literally and figuratively on the highway from job to job, feeling like this day really is the first day of the rest of my life,or at least the next two eyar of it, and yet this little piece of radio putting me in the moment, in my car, in my life.

No comments: