Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Scenes That Caught My Fancy This Week:

1.) The West Wing 6th Season, 2162 Votes:
"I had hoped to be standing here tonight under very different circumstances and I have been asked, by people I respect, to take the opportunity to support one of the other fine candidates who have made this race with me -- To help decide who our nominee will be, but I can't do that. I can't do that because it is not my place to decide who our nominee will be. That decision is yours and yours alone. You know, there's been a great deal made today of Governor Baker's decision not to disclose his wife's minor medical decision. Many people believe that he should have, but I don't believe Governor Baker failed to disclose it because he was ashamed or embarrassed. I think he didn't disclose it because we're the hypocrites, not the Bakers. Because we're all broken --- every single one of us --- and yet we pretend that we're not. We all live lives of imperfection and yet we cling to the fantasy that there's a perfect life and that our leaders should embody it, but if we expect our leaders to live on some higher moral plane than the rest of us, well, we're just asking to be deceived. Now, it's been suggested to me this week that I should try to try to buy your support with jobs and the promise of access' it has been suggested to me that party unity is more important than your democratic rights as delegates. That's right, it's not and you have a decision to make. Don't vote for us because you think we're perfect. Don't vote for us because of what we might be able to do for you only. Vote for the person who shares your ideals, your hopes, your dreams. Vote for the person who most embodies what you believe we need to keep our nation strong and free. And when you have done that you can go back to New York, to Chicago, to Omaha, and to Miami and San Fransisco, to Seattle, to Austin with your head held high and say, 'I am a member of the Democratic Party.'"

2.) Sling and Arrows, Season 2, "Birman Wood"
On Stage -
Romeo: I have night's cloak to hide me from their sight;
And but thou love me, let them find me here:
My life were better ended by their hate,
Than death prolonged, wanting of thy love.
Offstage -
Ellen : I hate this play
Jeffery: Yeah.
Ellen: When you watch it you feel miserable, because you don't have that kind of passion in your life.
No body does.
It's a fantasy.
It's irresponsible.
Jeffery: Yeah.
On Stage:
Romeo: I am no pilot; yet, wert thou as far
As that vast shore wash'd with the farthest sea,
I would adventure for such merchandise.
Off Stage -
Jeffery: Yeah. You know what I think.
It's painfully accurate.
Two idiots meet.
They fall in love.
They're happy.
Briefly.
And then all hell breaks lose.
Happens all the time.
On Stage -
Romeo: What shall I swear by?

3.) 30 Rock, Season 2, "Cougars"
Liz: Hi, Order for Pick Up. Yes, I'd like a meatball sub with extra bread and my name is -
Phone Guy: Liz.
Liz: Yea! That's me.
Jack: Big night Lemon? Let me guess: meatball sub with extra bread, bottle of nyquil, Tivo Top Chef, a little Miss Bonnie Rait and lights out.
Liz: No, I have something to do tonight Jack.
Jack: Then you won't mind when I tell you Casey gets voted off tonight.
Liz: YOU MONSTER! Why are you like this!

No comments: