Friday, April 11, 2008

Spring Cleaning

Soooooo, obviously haven't done the whole "I'll just do it a lot" Nike-esc running thing. I dunno what's going on with me lately, but I just have not been feeling it. I know I just need to go again. If I go. I'll remember why it is that I do it. The more time that lapses between runs, the farther away the beneifts seem to be.

Beyond the lack of running, and blogging, things have been busy. I've gone on some nanny interviews, and remembered that I'm willing to stick it out for a good gig that makes sense. I may feel like I don't have options, like my choices are limited, but that is not the actual case.

One of my bestest friends in the world came to stay for a couple of days this past week and it was a fantastically benign visit. That visit, plus numerous hang-outs with Chicago-based friends, made for a very social week, which was surprisingly hard to handle. I finally had to face that I've become very detached since moving back home, and being social and detached doesn't often work well together for me.

I noticed that I felt like my life was becoming kinda cluttered; like there were little piles just accumulating in my life. So I spent all day today doing some serious spring cleaning. Put together two+ bags of stuff for the Goodwill, as well as getting some general dusting accomplished, and got ride of the all those peesky piles. Feels good, feels fresh.
In this spring cleaning I came across a box of photos. They are all my favorite photos from over the years; the photos I take with me whenever I move somewhere. I haven't put them up since I came home, which I can't really explain why that is. I live in one room basically and I have a lot of things up already and finding the right space or time to put them up is the best excuse I can come up with.
Until today when I went through them again. I pulled out all the photos of the scenery/non-people pics I have and put them. Moving back home, broke, single, applying to schools - I've felt like I'm the youngest 26 year old alive; feeling more like I'm 18. I feel like I'm starting all over again, starting from scratch. But without a lot of the familarity that one would think could come with age. I've left the community of NWL, the camp I went to/worked for for 10 years. I broke up with my boyfriend. I've still got my great group of friends, that I also had when I was 18. Everything in my life is still the same as it was the last time I was here only wihtout some things. Finding these pictures of churches in Scotland, the first time I saw the ocean in Mexico, the reeds, mountains and lakes in Canada, the zoo in Chicago, the beaches of Michigan, Mountains in Vermont, Big Ben in London, the seaside in California, sunsets and portages. Having these things up, reminds me that I have been places. and in all likely hood, I'll add more pictures of more places some day.

1 comment:

Joel Gaff, Jr. said...

I just have to say that I love your blog, Alex. I see so many reflections of myself in it. Miss you:)