Friday, March 14, 2008

Acceptance

What a fantastic day.
After a week of not getting very good or long amounts of sleep, I went to bed last night around 1 am. And slept soundly - for 10 hours! This is good too, cuz I felt all day long yesterday like I'd been bitten by a zombie. I was physically awake, but nothing was really computing. Obviously, I needed to catch up.
So after a nice sleep-in my mom knocks on my "door" (aka, the curtain that hangs were a door normally would be) and says "See this is the problem with living with your Mom,
she just can't wait for you to see it yourself and open it" while handing me a big envelope from a University I applied to a couple months ago.
I tear it open, and there's a big fat folder with forms and a acceptance letter. Thank god. It was the only school I applied to, and I wasn't sure what my plan B would be if I didn't get in. "Deal with it then" was pretty much my plan B.
But I did get in, and I'm so happy about that. There are lots of pros to this, one of which is that the library were I recently started working is very close to this school, so school and working part time at this place should work out.
There are some folks in the field that kept urging me to apply to this big state school that is one of the best in the country in this field. But I didn't. For one
thing, I didn't get into that school the first time around when I applied as an undergraduate. Not that that would count against me now. But here are the bigger more important reasons: 1.) I don't want to do distance learning. 2.) I don't want to live where this school is.
I'm not saying that distance learning isn't the best - if you can do it, go you. But it's not for me. I need structure, I need class. I need the teacher there in front of me and the deadline of going into class to motivate me to do any work. You can talk to me till your blue in the face about how there still is class, there still is the teacher and the deadlines, and you would be right. But it's just not for me. I need the interaction, face to face with teachers and classmates. I just know this about myself. I will do better if I am forced to be there. Being there is a big part of not
going to the big state school. It's not the middle of no where, because it's a big ten school and it is large. But it's not the city. It's not where I want to be. Having lived somewhere where that I didn't want to, and being miserable there, I know being near the city is another key factor in my success.
So, after the good news of getting into this one school, I set about doing errands and enjoying the amazing 58 degree weather today. My mom took me out for a celebratory chai tea, and then I came back and read magazines for forever. People, Real Simple,
and even Women's Health. I was hoping the last one would motivate me to go running. It didn't really, but I went anyways. All week, since my last run on Monday, I've been telling myself "Friday. I will go Friday. I don't have to work, I'll be able to sleep, I'll go again Friday." Now it was actually Friday and I had to go. I pushed it off for awhile, reading magazines; even getting in my running clothes but then working
on the puzzle on the dinning table for 45 minutes. But finally I went.

March 14
2.3 miles

It was a little weird running past the corner bar. Having it be crowded with the young suburban Friday night scene and me running past as fast as I could hoping I wouldn't see anyone I know loitering outside. (Who that would be I don't know, but you never know. When you're sweaty and in running clothes looking ridiculous would seem just the time life would put you in the presence of someone you know from high school.) But over all it was really a good run, and I think I might need to amp in up to 3 miles
again soon. Oh, also my friend Sarah (hi Sarah!) told me about a 5k in the town next to mine that she's running at the end of April. May be the perfect motivation to keep running over the next month.

One more thing. I'm a little upset that Quarterlife got pulled from NBC after one episode. I mean, fine, pull it if you have to. But only one episode? It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible. And in a land full of nothing still from the writer strike repercussions you think they could have let it run even just a little bit longer. Luckily they are still showing the episodes online. I've kinda gotten sucked in. I watched two yesterday and there were some gems of narration in there, some things I identified with. Although I'm pretty sure they are gonna get ride of my favorite character in the next episode - again, I don't know why they mess with the good stuff, but they do. But despite that, I think it may be good. I'm not totally sold, but I'm still in.

No comments: