Saturday, February 23, 2008

Boiler Rooms and Backseats

I just finished watching “The Boiler Room” episode of My So-Called Life. Officially I believe the episode is called “Self Esteem”, but anyone whoever watched the show ever knows that it’s really called “The Boiler Room” episode.
It’s the Jordan-Catalano-holds-Angela’s-hand episode. And it is perfect. It’s perfect television. It gives me butterflies in my stomach. It even has my favorite Shakespeare Sonnet in it, sonnet 130.
I could go on and on about why it’s good television, but it just is. They kiss and kiss and kiss in the Boiler Room, and you would think that is the big deal, because it’s Jordan Catalano and they are kissing. But no, the moment is when Jordan walks down the hall and takes Angela’s hand in front of everyone (including poor Brain Krakow). That is the moment, it's about actual intimacy, and in the most public way. Anyways, I’ll stop gushing. It’s just the best.

The next episode, which I’m watching now, begins with them in Jordan’s car; talking about having sex, having a car, and I just have to say this story:
When I was in high school there was a boy in the grade above me that I had a big crush on, despite his having a very steady girlfriend, that somehow I managed to become semi-friends with, that would even drive me home after school. While riding in the backseat once I noticed there were pillows and I asked “Scott, why do you have pillows in your backseat?” There was a pointed silence in which he exchanged looks with the person in the front seat, and then it dawned on me and a realized “Ohhhhhh” escaped my mouth. Everyone laughed and I yet again realized how naive I was.

On the show the voice over just said “There’s this dividing line between girls who have had sex and girls who have not.” One guess as to which side I was on; the side that didn’t even know pillows could go in the backseat of your car.

No comments: