Wednesday, January 23, 2008

She's Got A Point

A none running blog:

I'm thinking of going off birth control. This is kinda a big decision to me, in that, I have strong feelings that being a responsible potentially sexual active female means you should be on some kind of birth control. And I don't view condoms as birth control. I mean, they are, but I see them more as STD control. He takes care of STD control by using a condom, I take care of birth control by taking a pill. We both do our part.

But to be perfectly honest, the "he" in that equation is purely theoretical at this point. Mostly I'm taking birth control to keep my hormones under control - which doesn't seem to be a plan that's really working - and to cling on to hope that I will need to be responsible and thus be on birth control.

There is no real "need" for me to be on it, and Planned Parenthood ain't as cheap as I think it should be (seriously, they should be able to give that stuff away in my opinion, and I not because I'd like to think I need it, but because other people actually do need it), and it would be interesting to see what would happen to my emotions in a month were they weren't being controlled by a substance.

Here is my real concern with going off the pill though: I have it in my head, probably from some teen magazine I read when I was 17 and years before I actually had sex, that it takes 3 months before birth control (pills) will be at it's most effective. And unless your actually living the Sex and The City life style, which I am not - in many many ways, who knows when they will be having sex next? Let alone if it will be in the next three months! One would like to think, to hope, but who can be certain?

I voiced this last point to my mother today, who had this reply:

"But if you're going to sleep with someone, shouldn't you know them for three months first?"

Got me thinking, the woman has a point....

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Well, from what I've been reading lately it seems that it does take 2-3 months for the hormones to build up enough that you're protected 24/7 (even during the week of your period). But you start being protected after 7 days.

I actually just started birth control (Nuvaring)-- not for birth control really, but for the hormones to even things out. I was all irregular and I think it was causing my IBD or other random digestive issues to act up a little.

Your mom does have a good point though, lol...