Thursday, April 19, 2007

fighting

For the second time this week I went for a five mile run. Ok, it isn't QUITE five miles, it's 4.8 miles, but still, for all intensive purposes, it's a five mile run. Earlier this week, the run was great, even inspired me to start this blog. Today - not so much. Today was sunny, and a perfect "run" day, but I had to fight for it today. Fight to not just give it up and walk the whole thing.
I perfer to, and almost always, run by myself. I was thinking on this run, as I was hitting my stride in the middle and I was pumping myself up to keep going the thoughts hit me:
Stop beating yourself up about your speed
Stop beating yourself up about the time it takes
It's all about going the distance
For me it's all about upping my miliege, in about two months going from one mile to five.
And that's why I don't like running with other people; other people make me concious of my speed and time. And those aren't things I like to focus on.

Besides the run, earlier in the day I also meet with my boss's about working here next year (it went well), and worked with the Jr. class here at school (took them out to a meadow on a beautiful day, played fun games and gave everyone some quiet alone time). Oh, and I think today's run was a little harder too b/c I didn't do it till later in the day, so I was tired (early faculty meeting in the AM) and friends were waiting for me, so I felt pressure that there were things I had to do.

So overall, it should have been a good, productive day. But I'm still going to bed feeling a bit shitty, and I'm fighting those feelings like I was fighting for my run today - with fatigue.

No comments: