Saturday, November 1, 2008

Under vs. Grad.

From the view of this table on one side of the university library basement, I can see four people, including myself, that are here. I would bet money that almost all of us, are grad students or obtaining some higher degree than a bachelors. How do I know this? Because it is 7:30 pm on a Saturday night.

That is the difference between undergrad and graduate student. Even if I did not have plans on Saturday night as a undergrad - and in all likelihood, that was the case - the last place I would have been was the library.
But as a grad student, so many more responsibilities have entered your life. And I say this as someone who as an undergrad had 3 different jobs, was a full time student, and belonged to too many campus groups. Now, I have one job, and it takes up 30 hours of my week. And still, here I sit on a Saturday night - the university library. Because this is the time during my week that I have several unscheduled hours to just sit here and write papers.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Maybe I just never noticed how much time I was spending on my grad school work because I never get invited to anything... but seriously, I do not remember working as hard as you sound like you do. Granted, I did a good portion of my schoolwork while I was at work. But... still. I dunno, maybe I'm remembering wrong... I just don't remember the MLIS being that difficult!