Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sah

I got this piece of advice last night from a far off but very close friend. In a matter of fact, this-is-what-you-are-going-to-do way she said "You need to just take care of Alex, the rest will come after you focus on yourself."

I totally appreciate what she has to say. And I agree, completely. I've gotten this advice many times before, from various sources, and that's why -

- it just occurred to me, (that's how these blogs seem to happen - I'm in the middle of writing some paper, stare off into space for a second as the song changes on my ipod to some Beyonce pop feminism, and then I'm struck into thought on something I feel compelled to explore inarticulately here). Where was I again, oh yes -

Haven't I been "taking care of myself" for well over a year now? It was a year ago, probably this very week, that I left my secure full time job where I was miserable to go to Toronto, to be taken in by friends and figure my shit out? Wasn't that taking care of myself? Moving home was hard, and while I don't know if I would call it a year of little stress or anything, I was pretty focused on myself. Getting myself a job, getting myself into grad school, getting myself into an apartment. I've leaned on my friends and family pretty heavily this year, and focused a lot on what I needed to do.

I've typed and then deleted three different threads of thought from there, so I'm just gonna get back to this paper - my last Read and React of the semester, thank goodness.

Oh but before I forget, I need to run a correction - The drummer of Kings of Leon, Nathan Followill, is not the rest of the band mate's cousin, he's a brother. Caleb, Jared, and Nathan = brothers. Matthew, who plays guitar, he's their cousin. No matter really, I'm in love with them all. They are playing a benefit concert in Chicago the night before my birthday in January, but it being for a good cause and all, ticket prices are now $150 - 200, and if I have $150 to spend (really, $300, cuz who wants to go alone?) I'm inclined to spend it on other essentials. So next time around boys, just make sure you make it back here to Chicago again soon.

No comments: