Saturday, November 8, 2008

Wordy

1. Have been listening to the new Kings of Leon album, >Only_By_The_Night>. I wasn't in love with it on the first listen, but I think that's due to the fact that I'm so in love with their album "Because of the Times". However, there are some songs that I cannot stop listening to, and my adoration is only growing for this new album. In particular, the songs Use Somebody, Manhattan, and Be Somebody. I'm kinda enamored with them lately. For one, they are very cute (and of course, I'm most intrigued with the long haired, glasses wearing drummer Nathan), and they are of course talented. They also come from this crazy religious background, their dad (the three other band members are brothers, Nathan is their cousin) was a pentecostal minister, and that just throws me in a way I can't seem to articulate. So I guess it'll just have to end at that.

2. Did not end up going to the Obama rally. There is of course a part of me that wishes I had, mostly because I didn't end up getting anything done on my paper anayways - too busy checking the results online - and would have really enjoyed being in the city on a night so filled with love - I think I could have really used that. But I'm not really dwelling on it too much, what's the point of regret? It is what it is. I do have to include this here, from my friend who wrote me an email after that blog post, and this is a summarization:
I laughed and laughed at your blog post. So typically Al, always worried about what your missing out on.

Kinda called me on my shit and put me in my place, which really is appreciated. Think I needed to hear that and am, have been, as always, trying again to just appreciate being in this moment.

3. As for this moment right now - spent all day finishing up a paper for this big group project. And it feels so good to have it written, but I did take my time. I like having the time to procrastinate. I write a little, wander the internet (what did I do to procrastinate before the internet?), write a little more. A lot of the that wandering the internet is spent on facebook, and I found these two things today:
My friend Chris posted this, which is a little old, but as a West Wing fanatic, and Obama supporter, I loved endlessly:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/opinion/21dowd-sorkin.html

thank you Chris!

Also, found this Addicted to West Wing application on facebook which has a ton of West Wing quotes, which is unfortunate for you all, because it means I'll just post them more regularly, like this one:

I want women to have help from the government. I want women to earn what men earn. I want everyone to earn enough so that everyone can make the right choice for their family. After that, it's none of your business who stays home and who goes to work." - Amy Gardner.


4. There was something else....
Oh yeah. So a couple weeks ago, my friends and I were on a bus, talking about a the upcoming Halloween Party my friend was throwing. Conversation turns to the guest list and whose coming, and Friend 1 says some guy's name that I don't know and Friend 2 says, "Oh, he's coming? Isn't he single? Maybe Al can make out with him?" I was only half paying attention considering I didn't know anyone coming to the party and didn't really follow as the conversation went in some totally other direction and forgot about it till the party. But after the Halloween Party I asked Friend 2 on the drive home, "hey, why did you say that last week about that guy?" Her response: "I dunno, you're both single."
Seriously, this is the qualifications now for hooking up? Just gather the two single people you know, maybe they'll make out. I didn't realize that became a factor in the game as you get older, since the number of single people shrinks eventually all of us single people will just couple up? Ironically Friend 2, also single, so I'm even more perplexed as to why it would be that I would get together with this guy. I guess out of the three of us at that party who were single (no wait, 6 single people, 6 couples, a ratio of one couple for every single person) I would be the one to do it. Not really sure if I'm as comfortable with that piece of mirror being held up.
This gets into a whole other territory of a us vs. them = couples vs. singletons blog that could be interesting, but I'm not really sure where I'm going with it. It's just going to get so much more interesting as we get older.

Obviously, I am in this wordy rambling thought kinda place (can you tell I've been writing all day?!) so I should just end this now before I get myself into any more trouble.
Cheers.

No comments: