Thursday, June 5, 2008

Twilight & Choke

Scene: The Youth Services Desk, Susan and I huddled around the computer watching the new "Twilight" movie trailer.

Me: I think they've made Edward look a lot more, I dunno, kinda bookish or nerdy looking than I remember him in the book
Susan: Yea, he's kinda got that IT department hipster guy look
Me: That's just what I need - a nerdy IT department hipster guy. Whose also a vampire.


Truth be told, after having read two of the three books in the series, I'm not really a huge Edward Cullen fan. When the conversation between Susan and I actually turned to the movie, I asked her what someone would wear to a midnight showing of Twilight? I mean, the whole point - of so many vampire books really - is that "they walk among us" and all, they blend in. Whatda ya gonna do, paint you're face pale and go to the show? But this is just a side track from my original point, that I said to Susan, which was that if I went to the midnight showing it would be in a t-shirt that said "Bella can keep Edward, I'll take Jacob." Essentially - what girl needs a vampire and eternal life when she could have passion and a werewolf?
God, ya gotta love the Young Adult Fantasty genre for even putting that sentence into my blog in the first place....

Oh, also, speaking of trailers: the new one for "Choke" came out. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to read the book before the movie comes out, because everyone I know whose read the book has said "My god, how are they even going to be able to make that kind of perversion into a movie. I mean, it was a good book, but can you even make that into a movie and not, ya know, not offend the world?" - or something to that effect. But to be honest, I'm a little scared of Chuck Palahnuik, the guy who wrote it. Mostly because everyone that has ever read him says he's got one sick mind; brilliant, but twisted. And we all know I can be more than a little squeamish. Still, I loved Fight Club, I love Sam Rockwell & Angelica Houston (who star in the movie), the trailer looks great, and I keep thinking I'll be a better reader if I just bit the bullet and read some Palahnuik. If anyone's got a better one to start with than "Choke" let me know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read Choke, Survivor, and Fight Club. Of the three I've read, I would say that Survivor is the easiest to handle. That being said, while a completely faithful adaptation of Choke might garner an NC-17, that is more about the MPAA being Puritans than Choke being that difficult to manage. If I had a 12 year old, I wouldn't prevent him/her from reading it.

Anonymous said...

I have only read his non-fiction. very readable.

Anonymous said...

Read Invisible Monsters, although they are all pretty out there but defintly worth reading.