Sunday, August 12, 2007

StartDust

It may be a sign that I am extremely shallow, and naïve, but movies have an incredible impact on me. I just came back from seeing the movie StarDust. Now, I should preface that is a fantasy movie. This film has no basis in reality. That being said; there is a soliloquy that Claire Danes gives on falling in love that moved me.  Granted, she’s giving it to her true love who has just been turned into a rodent, and she doesn’t think he can understand her (the kind of vulnerability I can relate to: only given when you think no one is looking). But beyond that, I was sitting there in my movie theatre seat, as broken hearted and cynical as I am, my heart and mind - which are never of the same beat - both recalling “Yes, that is what it was like.”
And like that, there was hope. Ok, not just like that. I may be shallow, but a scene from a movie isn’t going to totally change my heart. I just recall that hope was there all along. Broken, bruised, blacked as it may feel. It will be whole and shine again, someday.
So here, publicly to Katie – because let's be honest, your probably the only one besides my mom that reads this – I take it back. The broken-hearted soliloquy I gave of my own; renouncing romantic love and disavowing that it was worth anything; I take it back. I am back to being a naïve romantic, vowing to never again lose my glorious self in another, only to let my love be mirrored by someone who loves it. I have faith – at least until the StarDust fades.

No comments: