Friday, June 29, 2007

pop

JUNE 29:
The night before last I pumped myself up to go running, but yesterday things just happened one after the other and i didn’t go. Yesterday the weather also turned much cooler, so it’s perfect for running. This morning, I went. 3 miles.
And it was awesome, and I ‘m planning on going again tomorrow.

“What came first, the music or the misery?
People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, like some sort of culture of violence will take them over.
Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands, of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss.
Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?”
This is the opening scene to one of my all time top five favorite movies, High Fidelity, which I’ve been meaning to watch one over the past couple days. I’ve been wanting to watch it, it’s been on my mind, and yet, I’ve been putting it off, because I thought it would just end up being depressing and sad. But I’m sitting here watching it, and it hasn’t been sad to watch at all. I find myself saying all the lines, for one thing because they’re so good, and just because I know them so well. It’s not sad, it’s comforting. The way this movie talks about music, I realize that I feel that way about movies. I feel like it’s an old friend in my living room; having a great conversation with a good friend - the way a beloved album feels like a friend whose always there for you. And it’s not just the lines I find myself saying along, but the music too, which is just so perfect.



6.27.07 Best line from the Daily Show: If fox news wanted to do actual fake news, it would report the real news! (or something like that)- Lewis Black.

FYI - less than a month till harry potter & the deathly hallows comes out!
even less time till the 5th movie, Transformers, and Bourne Ultimatum comes out! can’t wait!

speaking of transformers: i have a question. Now, I was a child of the 80s, but really, I was born in the early 80s and my brain wasn’t truly appreciating pop culture till the 90s. So maybe I just wasn’t paying attention, but I can’t remember how transformers started. I mean, is the movie taking on the true presence of the movie, the actual reason there are transformers? Because I think that the movie says that transformers are some kind of alien that has come to planet earth. Was that the case with the original? Or in the original did, you know, they just, exist? There was no “beginning” or reason why transformers came to be. I can’t remember. someone, please leave a comment and tell me!

No comments: