Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Frames - burn the maps

There’s a certain magic in buying an album. There’s the magic of finding it, of purchasing it, unwrapping it and finally getting it open. You have to savor the magic, which is why I don’t put it in until I know I have some time to truly, and hopefully, enjoy the first listen.

It comes from that first listen in the car as you start to drive, start turning up the volume as your ears want more. The love of a good album springs from this magic as scenery passes by your window, as the words of songs seem to speak directly to you and you marvel, as with any love, how you’ve only just found it now.

When I started playing the drums on the steering-wheel, I knew I’d fallen hard. I play the drums/steering-wheel not for every band, for some. But with this band, I knew it was serious. Not a school-girl crush, not a “fav band of the moment”, this is one of those bands where I think I could own everyone of their albums.

Maybe I’m just rebounding, falling too fast, but having a new band to be excited about – I mean come on, rebound or not – it’s magical.

1 comment:

Laura said...

How fun! I have good friends who LOVE The Frames and see them any time they're in Chicago. Steve and I just went to their show at The Hideout Blockparty a couple of weeks ago and they're amazing live! Definitely check out a concert if you haven't already :)