Friday, July 13, 2007

Filling the Void

I’ve been doing everything I can to fill time. I wake up early and the days go by quickly, but once four oclock hits, and I’m out the officce door, I feel this black void pressing in. As a friend put it yesterday, I’m”re-organizing my schedule”. If the weathers good, I go straight to the beach. I fill the void of “what to do now?” every day around 4 & 8. It’s like I’m just waiting for it to be dark so I don’t feel so lame for being in my apartment. Anyways, even with this void staring me in the face, I feel so busy these days. So busy that even though I have tons of things I’ve wanted to blog about, I haven’t been able to! But, I’ve decided to put aside any other projects and just sit here and put it out there, lucky you! My love for Harry Potter knows now bounds. My void of “what should I do tonight?” on wednesday was filled by going to the new movie. It was opening night, and I love going to opening nights. If there was a midnight show in my area, I probably would have gone. Opening nights for movies are great, becasue when a movie is popular enough to have a midnight showing, it means there is a whole culture that belongs to that movie. Price of the movie - too much, price of watching all the fans gather for their own cultural event - priceless. Anways, i didn’t go to the midnight show, but I showed my devotion my going by myself. I haven’t gone to the movies by myself for a long time, and it was harder than I antcipated. Still, the movie was worth it. It’s not a perfect movie, and it’s not the best representation of the book, but I think it did a good job. I won’t say anything more to ruin it for you other potter fans (katie), but I think it did a great job of taking the themes of the book and making them into a movie and not a direct play-by-play of the book. Question though: The trailers included “Enchanted” a Disney movie and “The Bourne Ultimatium” (also can’t wait!) wihch is Warner Brothers, like Harry Potter. A Disney movie and a WB movie being pitched within the screen time? What has happened to the universe??? The fact that I notice this type of thing makes me a super geek. I’ve realize this. Last week I bought a Entertainment Weekly (double issue! Sweet!!!!), and have been saving it for beach time. I realize that I am a geek, just by virtue of “saving” to read it, and the fact that when I do read it, I read almost every article. A couple years ago, I went to my college mailbox and found a Entertainment Weekly. A friend bought me a subscription for a year, and I’ve been thinking on it, and remembering that it was one of my favorite presents. By the by, this week during “what to do, what to do” time and rode my bike all the way around the little lake. I added it up and it was 15 miles. Go me. And the night only got better from there, after a shower I met friends in town and filled the void of time till 2 am! Not every night has been like that, but I like it that way. I'm not a 2 am-er everynight, but it makes the nights I stay in seems well spent, and makes the nights I go out seem worth-while. Variety is the spice of life.

No comments: