Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Rought Draft

I meant to post this yesterday, but time keeps getting away from me. I have this Prof. who has, via email with more information than you could ever want to know, given an assignment before class has even started. Now, I understand having something that needs to be done when you come into class the first day, hit the ground running and all that. But this was due today, a full 9 days before class even starts. A little much if you ask me. A simple assignment, but still, let a girl enjoy her break in peace please.

So, here's the assignment. I wrote an off-the-cuff response yesterday morning just to get myself going, and I thought I'd post in here. Maybe if I have time tomorrow I'll post the polished version I sent him. But here's the roughest of roughest drafts I've ever thought up -

Could each of you send me a one page statement of why you want to be a librarian in general and why you taking this course in particular (obviously, the two are related). This is also required for the course. Please send them to me, via email, by January 6 at 5pm. Thank you.

Here's my deal - worked in libraries in my formative young adulthood. Went and explored other areas such as alternative and outdoor education. Came back to libraries. I like working with the public. I'm good at it. I like the pace. I like that there is certainty and routine, while also being full of surprises. I like being surrounded by knowledge, it feeds my appetite for information and new things.
This course, is required, that's why I'm taking it. But I look forward to getting a lot out of it. I've worked in Circulation quite a bit, but also worked in Youth Services, I've held programs at libraries, but I have yet to do much with Adult Services, and I hope this course will expand my ideas of what this area has to offer. To me, it's just sitting behind a desk and answering questions, and obviously, it's a lot more than that. (just as Circulation is a lot more than checking books in and out) I'm hoping this course opens my eyes to all that reference can offer, to the doors it can open in other fields. I'm not sure really where I want to go in the library field, and I'm hoping this course helps broaden my horizons while also helping me to narrow my focus and learn more about what reference has to offer me, and what I have to offer reference.

No comments: